On 9/30/00, W Luke penned:
>Am I right in saying that using the database as the Client Storage method,
>if the user doesn't have Cookies enabled it will still work? (i.e. pull
>client's token from database, and client. variables).  Or am I way off the
>mark?

As long as you pass cfid and cftoken in every link, just like with
session variables. :)

>  >I believe the default is 10 days. I
>>  have my server set to expunge after one day because that's all I need
>>  for any app on my server. Now if someone requested I keep them
>>  longer
>
>But why would you need to allow them to keep them longer?  If you set a
>reasonably satisfactory limit (7 days seems fine to me), then the database
>doesn't clog up, and 7 days is long enough.

Sure, but like I said. You are at the mercy of the host if it's not
your machine. I have mine set to die in one day.

>  > I use cookies. Then they can click a checkbox if they want their
>>  password to be stored. Then you check like this (just an example from
>>  one of my apps):
>
>Could the same not be done with Database Client Storage means?  To me it
>seems the best way - I don't have any figures on Cookie usage at hand
>(anyone?) but some people are scared of the cookie monster, even nowadays.

If they don't have cookies enabled, then I believe a new cfid and
cftoken will be created on every click since CF won't know that it's
the same person clicking. Even if you pass cfid and cftoken, it's
only going to be good until they leave the site. Next visit they will
be given a NEW cfid and cftoken.

So to summarize, as long as they have cookies enabled and come back
before the client variables are deleted from the database, then yes,
your method will work. If they don't have cookies enabled or come
back after the data is purged, it won't.

--

Bud Schneehagen - Tropical Web Creations

ColdFusion Solutions / eCommerce Development
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.twcreations.com/
954.721.3452