Well, I discovered one problem, Memo fields cannot be indexed, so notes
field, if it is to be indexed, is limited to 255 characters.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Fuqua [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2006 9:16 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Verity vs. sql indexing

I know the answer is verity is better at full text searches, but I am
curious how much better and at what point.  I have a notes table with a memo
field.  If I have the memo field indexed by the database, how many records
does in need to reach before it starts having a hard time with "contains"
searches?

The benifet of the database, from my very finite view point, is it gets
indexed everytime a new record is added, and the user interface and code
would be exactly the same as all my other search pages, which just set the
where clause for the select statement.

thanks,

Mark