You are correct, CF uses Perl's regular expression syntax, and so do a
lot of other languages.  It seems that a lot of people recognize Perl's
regex as one of the best implementations available (and very popular,
thus well known) and I'm assuming that's why the CF developers went with
it.  Fortunately for me, I learned regex in Perl before I tried them in
CF.  :-D

[INFO] -- Access Manager:
This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential
and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the
distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any
reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this transmission in
error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its
entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format.  Thank you.   A2