> What does cftransaction do then?
>
> The livedocs say that it "can be used to group multiple
> queries that use CFQUERY into one business event". How do
> other events occur in between "one" event?

Transactions are a bit complicated, and can be used to achieve different
sorts of results.

One thing that transactions allow you to do is to force all queries to
either succeed or fail. Within a transaction, if the first query succeeds
but the second fails, the first one will be undone - this is called a
rollback.

However, that by itself doesn't guarantee that nothing else will be going on
while your transaction is running. Databases are designed to allow multiple
concurrent users to work with the same data, while simultaneously
guaranteeing the integrity of that data. Typically, this is done by using
locks to prevent one user from reading or writing data while another user is
doing something with that data. Different transaction isolation levels have
different effects on how long locks are maintained.

Instead of trying to explain this adequately, I'll just point you here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isolation_(computer_science)

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/