Sir Robert Everland the III,

>You would have to know the name of the lock you set up.

I agree.  That's a downfall of using named locks, but another great reason
to encapsulate all locking in 1 place!

> Named locks on application scope are not needed

I disagree. If you were to update the application scope and not just read
from it, you need to lock.

> Someone pointed out that they don't lock the entire box, only the
> application, then the scope.

I agree. If you lock the session scope, I think it's only that specific
session that's locked and not all sessions on the box - same with
application scope, only a specific application is locked and not all
applications on a box.

Baz