If they come by fax why not do an authorization only, which basically
creates the transaction with your processor, then later come back and
finalize the authorization. Authorize.net allows this but I'm not sure about
other gateways. This seems to be the best way to remove all liability from
you/your client and placing it on your gateway.

The only downfall is I'm sure there is a timespan between the time you
authorize to the time you charge. That would be gateway specific. Here's
how/why/when I use it.

1) Authorize card (show error if not approved, if so, move on)
2) save to database (if save is successful move on, else show error and
remove authorization)
3) Charge credit card

This prevents orders from being saved without charging cards and prevents
cards from being charged without orders being saved to the db.
Unfortunately, I've had both of those issues before on e-comm sites so I was
forced to fail-safe it.

Also, if they come by fax, are they shredding the fax after receipt? If not,
just store the last 4 and reference the fax doc.