Well doing what you can to keep costs down for your customers is always a
good thing in the customer's eyes and actual shipping costs as opposed to a
'guestimate' is admirable but what is shipping based on? Usually it's
weight. If it's an automated system, items are being added to the database
and pulled from there for display and purchasing so what's to stop someone
from storing the weight if they wanted ACTUAL shipping costs for their
customers... which can be calculated with UPS web services on the fly BEFORE
a credit card is taken or by setting up your own calculations tables and
updating it with changed amounts when UPS does. They'll give you that info.
The most current info can probably be found on their site... they may even
have a remote service for that too...

Take Dell, NewEgg, and Tiger Direct for example, they have a ton of items
for sale, all different sizes and weights. Their shipping costs are pretty
close to actual costs from what I've seen. Granted they generate very high
online revenue and can afford (and have little choice otherwise) to make the
process as streamlined as possible but it does prove it's possible.

If it's working for you, by all means go with it. I personally wouldn't buy
anything from anyone without knowing the bottom line before hand and I'm
sure I'm not alone.

Many of us have done ecommerce sites. We can't please everyone. Let's face
it, people are more particular about their money than anything. Many people
will see a misspelled word on a cart and decide they don't want to spend
their money there; they are picky and cautious about where they will buy
online and they should be.

It's harder to lure them and their money in than it is to turn them away. I
just feel that those three things are 3 very big deterrents for more people
than not. (not letting them know its in stock before hand, not giving AT
LEAST a shipping estimate before hand, not giving a final tally of all
costs)

But as I've said before... I'm no expert... I just play one on the internet.

Bobby Hartsfield
http://acoderslife.com