I luckily remembered QofQ this week...also never having used it...and
along with another thing I didn't know about till now(setting a
cfsearch to  type="Internet"...makes it treat the search syntax more
like you expect most internet search engines to...no more replacing
spaces with "and" and such), I made a pretty effective search engine
that combines verity and database searches.  Maybe it is a good idea
to RTFM once in a while.
-jim