There is some overhead for making a custom tag call, so if you have
recursion (or iteration) across a call, you'll have to pay that
overhead each time.  I'd say it's nothing to worry about until you
notice it as a problem when you're doing load testing.

If you're running on CFMX, however, I'd look into wrapping the
functionality in a CFC or UDF instead of a custom tag though.
Functions are better suited to recusion, if you ask me, and they're
probably a bit more performant, but that's just a guess.

cheers,
barneyb

--
Barney Boisvert