About ten years ago I wrote a fund raising (they call it "development"
package) in clipper that was used by a private school and for an art's
organization.  During that time we evaluated Raiser's edge, and decided
not to go with it because it used proprietary data structures which were
not accessable outside the program.  Maybe they have changed it since
then.  I do know that they have lots of installs, they are very big in
the private school market including colleges and with many other
organizations involved in fund raising.  Blackbaud also has accounting
and student data (grades, etc) software that they sell into the same
market.  There are a lot more of those than you would guess.  you could
have a real interesting niche market if you develop internet
applications that piggy-back on their stuff.

James Brown