Check this site:

http://www.cmswatch.com/Portal/Vendors/

Portals are yesterday's news, but maybe that is because everyone has one now.
My company uses Plumtree, and I can safely say I never go to the site unless I
need the corporate directory or I need a link to another site like 401K
benefits.

I built a big intranet at my last company- an app with content management,
directory, collaborative workspaces, etc. Even with all that functionality, 50%
of the traffic on the site came from the corporate directory- no joke.

When you evaluate vendors, look at how well they integrate into your existing
infrastructure- e.g. LDAP/AD authentication, corporate directory, single
sign-on for other sites in your network.

At this point, I would proabably pick one of the open-source packages and
implement it. I would start by looking at Apache Jetspeed 2.

HTH,

Rob