That depends on SO MANY things! I mean, the answer to that question can
be different depending on who uses your site and for what purposes. It
is affected by what type of page it is and how often it will be
accessed. I've got a page in our gas pipeline system that regularly
takes 15 seconds to load. Now, on almost every site that would be
considered completely unacceptable. However, the end user in this case,
expects this to be the case and is completely ok with it. To them, the
most important thing is that they get 100% of this data that they'll
never look at on the page at one time and that it's been checked against
all of the formulae to ensure it's restricted as per the law. Of course,
on some of my other pages, I need load times to be almost instantaneous.
During gas nominations (order entry, basically) I need there to be
absolutely no perceptible wait-time for the pages to load, as this page
is used tens of times each day by everyone on the system...

So, it's really difficult to answer your question without knowing quite
a lot about your situation.

--Ferg