I wrote such a system a while back for a friend, and they found it
*very* useful.  Since then, I've enhanced it and given it away under the
open-source license to a couple of local businesses.  If you'd like a
copy of the code, let me know and I'll send it to you.  It's meant to
work with SQL Server, but it should be transportable to almost any
database.  Uploaded documents are stored on the server in the file
system.  It does virtually everything you've mentioned below.

If there is demand for this kind of thing, I might consider packaging it
and putting it up on some open-source sites.  So if anyone else is
interested, please let me know!

thanks,
bruce