From: Mark Drew [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2006 4:35 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: CFEclipse Vs Dreamweaver

I have to agree with *some* of the points about DW vs CFE but for me CFE
has some great features (and more coming guys!) that DW just doesnt
have:
1) Integrated IDE (I can do proper Db queries with it)
2) Great range of plugins for JS and CSS
3) Fantastic snippets, I do all my fusedocs with them as they are nice
and dynamic and it can add some things like filename, date etc and I can
just type in what the item does.
4) The fusebox plugin for cfe (ok.. I wrote it.. I got to like it!)
5) I dont like something with it? I can change it and add things to it.
6) CF had code folding etc before DW 8 even come out!
7) Doing event gateways?? damn, I can write the Java, CFC and CF
required
8) you can integrate CFUnit (using Ant) with it
9) Integrated browser (you dont need to alt+tab)
10) you can run flex builder 2 in the SAME IDE!!!
11) CVS, VSS, SVN integration.

There are many downfalls I am sure, but there are things I want to add
to compete with DW to CFEclipse, things that come to mind:
1) Integration to the CF server to add debugging (maybe integrating into
the starfish reporter from Ray
2) Component browsing of the server
3) Component browsing of local files (without requiring a server)
4) Integration of snippets into CFLib
5) compile CF as you write (or even as an external tool.. this is
possible, just havent figured out how to get it working right)
6) Toolbars and custom toolbars (working on this)
7) Local CFDocs (again working on this) rather than the piss poor docs
in DW

The goals of DW and CFEclipse are slightly different, so it is also
horses for courses. I do use DW and it is pretty awesome
(now..well..since October?).

We are working hard to get CFE to do *everything* that someone could
want to do.. and all you need do is ask or get involved to make it
better.

Regards

Mark Drew