When CFMX 6.0 first came out, there were a few JVMs that were faster,
and some that were more stable than the one that shipped with CF (if i
recall, it was 1.3.8 or 1.4.0). Since then, Sun has really  pushed the
envelope and has really made the 1.4 branch really fast and stable on
their own JVM. I would completely recommend staying on whatever one
comes with your install, or, if you must, install the highest version
1.4 JVM from sun. You won't have any problems with it. I would NOT
recommend switching to another JVM provider. Mostly because of the
non-standard nature, thus lack of community support.

Generally, stay with your current JVM unless you are experiencing bugs
that just shouldn't happen, more than locking or jdbc issues, or other
well-known issues like 'session is invalid' errors. These types of
problems have other solutions.

Java 5 (aka 1.5) has been pretty stable in the things I've seen and
used it in, and very, very fast, though don't use it for CF, because
macr--err adobe relies on Apache organization code for web services,
which don't support 1.5 yet (well, they may now, but CF hasn't been
patched for it yet). This is totally common for web & app servers to
be a little behind the curve to keep things stable. 1.5 support will
come eventually, maybe with the CF7 update scheduled for this summer.

-nathan strutz
http://www.dopefly.com/