> Hmm, I can't convince CACLS to edit such fine-grained rights;
> it only seems to recognize N, R, F, C.  Are you sure you've
> used it to SET these permissions, and not just display them?

You're right - I can't do it either! I haven't used CACLS to set
permissions; I've used the GUI to do this. Furthermore, I'm not sure what
exactly you have to install on NT 4 to get the extended permissions GUI; I
know that it's not just part of a service pack, since some of our servers
don't have it, but they're all using either SP 5 or 6a. I think it might be
the Security Configuration Editor, which is a separate install available
from Microsoft. In any case, using Windows 2000, I can set file permissions
on NT 4 servers that don't provide the GUI, so it hasn't been a big issue
for me.

It's been a while since I've used CACLS, and I assumed that it would let you
set any permissions that the GUI allows. It doesn't, and neither does XCACLS
or SuperCACLS. The NTSEC tool from Pedestal Software does, but only for
Win2K according to the documentation.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496