> What is the difference of doing this:
>
> <cfif getClient.saveAsUnicode eq 1>N</cfif>'#address#',
>
> over this:
>
> <cfqueryparam value="#address#" cfsqltype="cf_sql_varchar">

They're not comparable at all. The CFQUERYPARAM tag builds a prepared
statement and uses a bind parameter for your value.

> Is there a performance gain?

Generally, prepared statements execute faster than plain ol' passthrough
SQL. Of course, there are always exceptions.

> How does CF handle this differently?
> Does cfqueryparam behave the same in 5,6 and 7?
> Does SQL do anything differently?
>
> Any general points would also be grateful.
>
> I am just trying to understand the differences better - I
> know everyone goes around saying you must use cfqueryparam
> beacuse its better, security etc etc. So I am just trying to
> validate this a bit.

http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/coldfusion/articles/cfqueryparam.html

There isn't really anything that's changed significantly with CFQUERYPARAM
across versions.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/