My example left out the default. If a CFPARAM exists with a name but no
default, it throws an error if the variable does not exist. i.e. it's saying
that the variable has to exist.
If I read your idea right, any error will result in the default being used so
if myID is a string, rather than an error we'll get a value of 0 for the
variable. My idea makes the handling of the error something that can be coded
where your approach forces a default value on error. It also doesn't address
when the tag is used without a default.

I actually have to email you. I moved your mail to a "must reply" folder which
is top of my list to do. Tonight (and thanks). :)