I agree.  Good luck!
--Doug

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim McAtee [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2000 3:42 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Does anyone know how this REALLY works?

Doug,

This and the previous posts verify my understanding of how CFPOP operates
with message numbers.  If I knew with absolute certainty that my template
would never throw an error, then I'd use exactly the technique that you've
shown.  Like you say, then I'm only calling CFPOP twice.  The problem is
that the consequences of re-importing a message full of data area pretty
ugly, so I want to be certain I never process a message more than once.  If
the template dies before executing the CFPOP deletion, then I end up
re-importing a whole mass of records.

One thing I've contemplated is to keep countert within a database field,
updating the counter each time through the loop.  When finished, I do the
CFPOP deletion of the message list, then clear the database field.  I'd also
check this database field the next time I run the template and if I find a
non-zero count here I assume the template didn't finish successfully, and do
a deletion before CFPOPing new messages.  Any way you look at it, there's no
foolproof method of doing this, since CFPOP has no mechanism for actually
identifying a message in absolute terms.

Thanks,
Jim