> So what about those of us who just don't like Eclipse? I've
> tried it several times and each time I return to my copy of
> Editplus wondering what all of you are raving about.

I'm not a huge fan of Eclipse either. I can take it or leave it. The value
that FlexBuilder 2 brings to the table isn't that it improves Eclipse. The
fact is, Adobe had to start somewhere to provide the kind of IDE
functionality that something like FlexBuilder 2 needs, and they didn't have
suitable starting point in any of their existing products. If you ever tried
to use FlexBuilder 1.5, which was built on Dreamweaver, I think you'd agree.
I like Dreamweaver, but it simply doesn't fit the needs of something like
FlexBuilder.

> I'm now knocking it, or you Dave, but it I don't care WHAT it
> can do, the fact is that it's competing against other stuff
> that can do the same thing and some of those options are
> free. It just seem a little excessive for Adobe to charge
> $999. Why not $500? Or even $600.

I haven't seen anything that can do the same thing as Flex 2. I don't think
anything yet exists. It's not an incremental improvement to web
applications; it's something entirely different.

As for how much exactly it'll cost, there hasn't been an announcement. All
they've said so far is that it'll probably be under $1000. So everyone's
assuming that it'll be $1000, but for all we know it could be any of those
numbers you've given. For all we know, it could be $5. I don't think they've
decided yet, frankly, but I don't know any more than you do.

But again, you should really check it out for yourself, and see how much you
think it's worth. After you've done this, you may well think that $1000 is
more than fair. I don't think you'll find anything else that can "do the
same thing" at any price.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/