>>Should I run a script every few minutes to check the feeds
>>for new entries?

> Yves: Only if you want to be hunted down by a bunch of
> irritated server admins for abusing their bandwidth. :)

> In general, you don't want to poll a given feed more than
> once an hour. If you must poll more frequently, you should
> HEAD each feed before doing a full GET... that way you can
> check the headers to see if anything has changed before
> requesting a feed full of redundant items.

Hey Roger,

Is there a standard method for providing head information for RSS
feeds? I built some RSS syndication into the Blogs onTap plugin and
wouldn't mind tweaking it to be more useful to people when I've got
some time. I'm also wondering if there's a standard cut-off point for
a full feed, like a certain number of records or period of time? Right
now I think the main feed (if you're not looking at the feed for a
specific category or a specific article) never stops... which I
suppose could be considered a good thing, but I would imagine that
over time if you posted regularly eventually the feed would become
problematically large (on my end if not on the receiving end, since
the feed itself is built with CF).

I've also considered the possibility of writing the rss feeds to
static files, but haven't gone that route as of yet -- I like the idea
of writing to static files for a CMS (to avoid the problem of
gratuitous runtime page assembly - GRUPA) but with the blog I'm
hesitant to add more files because of course each new file means
another something that the system may need to update or delete later
and I guess because I perceive this as being more of an issue with a
blog, probably because I perceive blogs as being more transient (don't
ask me why).

s. isaac dealey     434.293.6201
new epoch : isn't it time for a change?

add features without fixtures with