We haven't had one yet,but,

A log is written each 1000messages saying the batch finished, and
email gets kicked. When the whole batch is finished, a last email into
the same queue goes out to the user who triggered the send. It gets
sent in the same queue so the user knows everything went out.

If we had an error (due to the server dying), we would grab the last
1000 finished, look in the mail server send logs for the last email
going out, find out where in the next batch it starts, and pass that
startRec in via URL parameter. This would restart the send from the
die point.