In this issue of ColdFusion conference and training news:

* Fusetalk Forum on CFUNITED!
* CFLive - Hal Helms Thursday 12:30pm EST via breeze
* Special Thanks to CFDynamics
* Only 10 days left on timely bird price - ends 3/31/06
* Interview with Jeff Peters "XML, XPath, and XSLT"
* Interview with Simon Horwith "BOF: Celebrity Death Match"

CFUNITED is the premier ColdFusion Conference near
Washington DC 6/28-7/1/06 (Four whole days!)
Check out speakers and topics at http://www.cfunited.com/

- Michael Smith
TeraTech, Inc

    "It is simply the premier CF conference, with excellent training by
CF gurus. Anyone working in
CF can go there and meet others who can help you with your current
projects or give you new ideas
to tuck away for future projects. I stumbled upon CFUnited for the first
time last year, and went
without any idea of what it would be like. It was so fantastic, I had to
go again this year for the
advanced CF track!"
    - Judy P. (previous year Attendee)

Have 3 years of CF and love helping other developers?
http://www.teratech.com/index.cfm?go=About.JobDetail&JobID=7

Conference and training news
****************************

* Upcoming TeraTech classes
Cost $59 - $349 see http://www.teratech.com/training/ for more details
and registration

CF101 - Welcome to ColdFusion   May 2 2006
CF102 - Intro to ColdFusion     May 9 2006
CF201 - Intermediate ColdFusion May 16 2006
FB101 - Intro to Fusebox        May 23 2006
FB201 - Intermediate Fusebox    Jun 6 2006

* Pre-conference classes
Cost $449 see http://www.cfunited.com/classes06.cfm for more details and
registration
Register before March 31st and enter to win a free 8 GB memory stick!
Location: Bethesda North
Marriott and Conference Center

CU210 Leader of the Pack (strategies for building better software) -
Simon Horwith - Monday 6/26
CU211 Fundamentals of Relational Database - Kurtis D. Leatham - Monday 6/26
CU212 ColdFusion Server Administration: JRun J2EE Deployment - Adam
Wayne Lehman - Monday 6/26
CU213 Testing ColdFusion - John Paul Ashenfelter - Monday 6/26

CU214 Ajax intensive for ColdFusion Developers - Rob Gonda - Tuesday 6/27
CU215 XML, XPath, and XSLT for ColdFusion Developers - Jeff Peters -
Tuesday 6/27
CU216 Domain Modeling - Hal Helms - Tuesday 6/27
CU217 Beyond Basic SQL for CF - Nate Nelson - Tuesday 6/27

CFUNITED NEWS!
* The First 750 registrations will get our cool new laptop book bag,
courtesy of our platinum and
gold sponsors! Don't settle for the tote, register today! See photo at
http://www.cfunited.com/bag.cfm

* Fusetalk Forum now on CFUNITED! Start talking to other register
conference attendees today.
If you are registered as an attendee, login into
http://www.cfunited.com/login.cfm
Discuss topics, arrange ride sharing or meeting at the event. Thanks
Fusetalk for letting
CFUNITED use your cool message board! See http://www.fusetalk.com/ for
more info.
-- Our Common Interest page is coming soon too!

* 320 people are already registered for CFUNITED-06 and the main hotel
is full!
   (That is more people than the same time last year).

* We have an over flow hotel: Bethesda Marriott (Located about 1.5 miles
from the conference
center - there will be a shuttle to the conference center all day)
5151 Pooks Hill Road Bethesda MD 20814
To make reservations call: 1.800.228.9290
Use the group code: CFU
See http://www.cfunited.com/travel.cfm for more details.

*CFLive
Hear CFUNITED speakers from your office via breeze talks every Thursday
12:30pm - 1pm EST. Learn
new tips and ask questions live.

Hal Helms on DuckTyping in CFCs, Design Patterns, Variables & Conditions
Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 12:30 PM US/Eastern
http://coldfusion.meetup.com/17/events/4874948/

Future talks
3/30/06 Jeremy Kadlec SQL Server tips
4/6/06 Sean Corfield Managing CFCs with Factories, Objects and Persistence
4/13/06 John Paul Ashenfelter Agile Programming
4/20/06 Simeon Bateman CFEclipse
5/4/06 Steve Ritler Farcry CMS
5/11/06 Maxim Porges Secrets of Top Notch Teams

* www.cfunited.com is hosted by CFDynamics.
CFDynamics is known as a leader in the ColdFusion Web hosting community
in providing reliable and
powerful hosting.  With hosting customers across the globe, we know and
understand the standards
that developers have come to expect in a host.   Our expert
administrators fine-tune our servers to
provide ideal efficiency and reliability as well as top-notch
performance.  CFDynamics is your
partner in web hosting and we will do what it takes to keep your site
running smoothly.
To learn more about our Web hosting services:  http://www.cfdynamics.com

* Only 3 months until CFUNITED (96 days).

* Only 10 days left on timely bird price - ends Friday 3/31/06

* Can't afford to come for 4 days? Or can't take time off work during the
   week? Come to our Saturday only CFUNITED event.

* Full time students and umemployed programmers substantial discounts
available - email liz (at)
teratech.com for your discount code.

And now our CFUNITED spotlight interview.

Michael Smith:  Today's CFUnited Preconference Class topic
is "XML, XPath, and XSLT".  I'm talking with Jeff Peters,
who will be teaching the class.  Thanks for joining me,
Jeff.  Tell me a little bit about the class.

Jeff Peters:  Thanks, Michael.  It's hard to believe
CFUnited is almost upon us again!  I'm really looking
forward to the conference and the class.  The title is
somewhat self-explanatory--we'll be spending the day
learning about how to use XML and its related technologies
in CFML.

MS:  That sounds as though it will be very useful.  I see
XML everywhere these days.

JP:  You're right.  We use XML in Web applications all the
time, whether we know it or not.  Being able to take
advantage of it can be a very powerful addition to your
toolkit. XML has become the standard of choice for
exchanging data over the web. Everywhere you look from
BLOGS, Web services, Business to Business data transfers,
that is just off the top of my head. Now with many database
vendors providing XML support to automatically mark up the
resident data it is becoming even more widely accepted and
easy to use. So with all of these XML "packets" flying
around we must be able to use this data in the many ways
required by our customers.

MS:  So I assume you'll be covering XML, XPath, and XSLT,
yes?

JP:  Very astute, Michael.  Yes, we'll be starting from the
beginning with what XML is, some basic rules that govern
XML, and how to manipulate XML objects in CFML.  Then we'll
be moving into using XPath syntax, in particular with
respect to the XmlSearch() function in CFML, to extract data
from an XML dataset.  Finally, we'll learn XSL and how to
use XSL stylesheets to transform XML data into just about
anything we want.

MS: So what exactly is XSLT?

JP: XSLT is a way to transform XML without writing
traditional code. XSLT stands for XSL Transformations and
Extensible Stylesheet Language. And XSL is a language for
creating a style sheet for XML (Extensible Markup Language).
You can think of XSL as CSS for XML! XSL specifies the
styling of an XML document by using XSLT to describe how the
document is transformed into another XML document that uses
the formatting vocabulary. One thing I would like to clarify
here, Michael, is that XSLT is considered a language. It has
variables, looping, conditional logic and more. That is what
makes XSLT so powerful. You use this power to transform the
XML data you are working with into what you need it to be.
Whereas, CSS provides you a means for "styling" but it
limited by the fact that there is no inherent logic, as
there is in XSLT.

MS: So what can you do with it?

JP: While many applications provide ways to manipulate XML
data, including ColdFusion with the XML tags that come with
CFMX, XSLT gives developers the freedom and flexibility to
do what they need with this XML structured data without
being confined to "tags" or "functions" written by software
vendors. If you will be working with XML data at all in the
future, and it looks as though you will, XSLT is a great
tool to keep in the toolbox and pull out when the whatever
else you may be using just won't give you the functionality
that you need.

MS:  All that in one day?  That's a lot of information.

JP:  Well, it sounds like a huge amount, but the three
topics all go hand-in-hand, so as we move along we'll be
reinforcing all the concepts all day.

MS:  Will there be hands-on work?

JP:  Yes, a lot of it.  My hope is that everyone will come
equipped with a laptop and a subject area they want to use
while exploring XML.  We'll be doing lots of practical work
and exercises, and helping each other along as well.
Students should be ready to roll up their sleeves!

MS:  Very good.  I understand you'll be using your new book
on XML as the text.

JP:  That's right.  "ColdFusion XML Objects" has just been
released by Proton Arts; we'll be using it in class in
addition to students' custom projects.  Each student gets to
take their copy home, too. See
http://www.protonarts.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Books.showBoo
kDept for this books and other books on Fusebox, Lists and
other cool topics!

MS:  Great!  I'm delighted to see that you have a new book
out, and that the CFUnited class will be the first to use it
for a text.

JP:  Thanks, Michael.  I think it will be a great class, so
I hope we get a lot of curious students who are ready to
explore.  I'll see you in June.

MS:  I will check out the class description at
http://www.cfunited.com/classes06.cfm and
see you in June.

Michael Smith: This time we are talking with Simon Horwith about his
CFUNITED-06
BOF session "Celebrity Death Match". So why should a developer come to
your session Simon?

Simon Horwith: To see Hal get the living cr*p kicked out of him.  Ha!
I'm just kidding, of course.
I've got the utmost respect for Hal, both as a speaker and teacher as
well as developer.  There's
been a lot of talk in the community about the pros and cons of
frameworks - Hal's very well known
for his pioneering efforts and support of frameworks and I'm... well,
not.  I guess the politically
correct thing to say is that I'm one of the more outspoken opponents of
frameworks.  People should
come to this session because, though I'm sure it will be very fun, it
will also be very
educational.  This is an opportunity to hear expert opinions from both
sides of the framework
debate in an interactive format.  Audience participation will be
encouraged, as long as it doesn't
involve rotten vegetables.

MS: Ok, I will be there! Bricks are ok to bring right?

SH: No, the only objects allowed will be those in CFCs!

MS: Groan! Well I am glad that this BOF (Birds of Feather) session is in
the evening
when folks will be relaxing, maybe with a beer in hand - just the way a
good boxing match,
I mean serious debate should be.

You can see more interviews at http://www.cfunited.com/interviews.cfm
CFUNITED-06 is Wed 6/28/06 - Sat 7/1/06 in Bethesda MD, just outside
Washington DC. It costs $749
until 3/31/06 then $849. For more information on CFUNITED see
http://www.cfunited.com/

---
Celebrity Death Match
*************************
Frameworks--Who Needs Them? Why do some people swear by them
while others swear at them? What's all the fuss about? Hal Helms is the
pioneer of the popular Mach-II and Fusebox frameworks, and Simon Horwith
has, after several
outspoken public comments on the subject, managed to become the
unofficial opponent of framework
use.

This is a steel cage match.  Audience participation is encouraged, the
fight... err...umm... debate, will be limited to 10 rounds, and there will
be no hitting below the belt (we'll see about that). But remember, at the
end: There Can Be Only OneĀ…

Speaker Bio:
Simon Horwith is Chief Information Officer at AboutWeb, LLC., a
Washington DC based company,
specializes in staff augmentation, consulting, and training.  He is the
Editor-in-Chief of
ColdFusion Developer's Journal, the only magazine in print devoted
exclusively to ColdFusion. Simon
has been using ColdFusion since version 1.5 and is a Macromedia
Certified Master Instructor and
Member of Team Macromedia. He specializes in ColdFusion application
architecture, including
architecting applications that integrate with Java, Flash, Flex, and a
myriad of other
technologies. In addition to presenting at CFUGs and conferences around
the world, he has also been
a contributing author of several books and technical papers. You can
read his blog at
www.horwith.com.

**************************

* Speakers include top names like Simon Horwith, Charlie Arehart,
  Hal Helms, Michael Dinowitz, Ray Camden, Ben Forta and many more respected
  CF authors and presenters.

* Great tracks:
   * Bootcamp - Basic ColdFusion and Flash topics
   * Advanced - Advanced ColdFusion topics
   * Manager/Empowered - Fusebox and Project management topics
   * Flex/RIA - Flash, Flex and other technologies integrated with CF topics
   * Accessibility / usability - section 508, CSS and disabled access
   * Deployment/Platform - tuning, install issues, OS, picking a database

* Included in your full conference registration is the following:

     * Attendence for 4 days (6/28/2006-7/1/2006)
     * Keynote and General Sessions
     * All conference sessions including repeat sessions on Saturday
     * Entrance to Expo Area
     * Networking Events
     * Badge and Badge holder with bar scan code
     * Free Lunch for each show day (Dinner is not included)
     * Access to all presentations after the event, including all the
recordings.
     * Promotional bag with materials including show guide, CD, coupons,
etc.
     * Opportunity to participate in all raffle drawings

* Can't stay 4 days Wed - Sat? Optional 3-day and Saturday only packages
   available too. Saturday will consist of repeats the most popular
sessions
   from the week - something many attendees asked for last year!

* The early bird price of $649 for CFUNITED-06 ends 1/31/06.

Price expires            4-day   3-day   Saturday-only
Early Bird   01/31/2006  $649    $549    $249
Timely Bird  03/31/2006  $749    $649    $299
Regular      06/16/2006  $849    $749    $349
Late         06/28/2006  $949    $849    $399
Door         06/29/2006  $1049   $949    $449

Save up to $400 by registering now!

Register today at
    http://www.cfunited.com/

--
Michael Smith, TeraTech Inc - Tools for Programmers(tm)
TeraTech voted Best Consulting Service by CFDJ readers!