Hi Srinivasa

WAR files come under the J2EE spec - they are a neat way to package up
a full J2EE application and deploy it somewhere. In theory you should
be able to deploy pretty much any WAR to any J2EE server, however in
reality this is a bit like saying you can run any CSS or javascript in
any browser. Different J2EE servers have different quirks.

To answer your question though - you MUST have a J2EE server to deploy
the WAR file to, otherwise you are just left with a glorified zip
file. Look on the MM site for supported J2EE servers.

At the end of the day CF is a J2EE application running on top of JRUN
which is a J2EE server - so saying you don't really have a J2EE server
installed is not correct - JRUN is there.

The main purpose of the deployment option in CF is not so much to run
it on other J2EE servers, but rather to package up your whole
application + cf installation + configuration options into a neat
bundle and drop it onto a (remote) server. This can be especially
useful if you have a single app running on a bunch of different
servers.