Rob,

I believe CF 7 uses xalan 2.5.1 to do its XSLT processing.  The
current version of xalan is 2.7.0 (http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/) but
it still only supports XSLT 1.0.

There might be another XSLT transformer that supports 2.0 and that you
could use in your CF app, but I'm not sure of which one (Saxon?) or
the exact steps to get that working. XSLT 2.0 does appear to be much
more developer friendly in several respects:
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/04/10/xslt2.html

Jon