> I'm creating a database for a store. It will probably have
> several thousand items (but will probably never come close to 10,000).
>
> The pictures of the items will be stored in a file directory
> (not as a blob in a database). What is the maximum amount of
> files that can be stored in a directory and still have an
> efficient response time.
>
> Each item will have at least two graphics if not three or four
>
> #itemID#-th
> #itemID#
>
> It is quite possible that there could be 15-20,000 images in
> this directory. Is that too many?

Yes, I would strongly recommend using some sort of storage hierarchy. You
are very likely to see performance degrade with that many files in a single
directory. The specific number of files that'll cause a problem will vary,
of course, depending on your hardware and OS, but I've run into this problem
several times, and would recommend that you plan for the worst.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/