> > However, one thing that's helped me is that at MAX in New
> > Orleans we covered some performance tips and if you use EQ
> > on numerical comparisons and IS on string comparisons, the
> > performance will be better.
>
> I remembered someone saying this had been debunked as
> something that was true at one point in time but no longer
> true with recent versions of CF, like the idea that cfscript
> is faster than tags or the fact that iif() is slow compared
> to equivalent cfif and cfset statements.
> Both of these two latter examples are items which were true
> once upon a time, but not with recent versions. Or so I've heard.

I don't think it's true now, and I don't think it was true before. This
strikes me as "old wives' tale" material. The IIf thing was (and presumably
still is) true, because people typically don't actually write equivalent
CFIF/CFSET stuff. IIf evaluates all of its arguments, which is an expensive
thing to do.

But, even if at any point it were true, coding for it specifically isn't
necessarily a sensible strategy, since it may not be true in future versions
of CF.

And, even if that weren't an issue, the performance differences between
these sorts of things would be negligible in any case. If you're worried
about optimization, look at your database access and caching strategies.
There's almost always room for significant improvement there.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/