I have run my own servers for several years now.  It gives me huge flexibility
and plenty of room for innovation.

However, I am coming to the same conclusion that you have regarding client
sites.

Have just set up a site on a virtual shared server at Godaddy.com and am very
impressed with all they offer and the prices charged.  I am happy to endorse a
great service.

Cheers,
Martyn