The question of whether you should or shouldn't  keep anything is a
practicality issue.   There are quite a few obligations put on you if
you store any of the card details in any form - written, electronic or
engraved into marble.  For example, if you store the card number, and
it ends up being stolen, you could be held liable for the losses the
cardholder incurs as a result.   The terms are outlined in the
merchant agreement you signed when you agreed to take on the card
merchant facility.

In short, if you store anything you have to go to a lot of lengths to
protect the data from malicious or accidental interception - separate
database server, encryption, secure transmission between servers etc
etc.    This applies not only to data stored on your web site servers,
but also in your accounting system and in local servers.  You have to
protect the data from being misused by disgruntled or dishonest
employees for example or you could possibly be held liable for any
losses incurred by the cardholder.

The easiest way to honour your obligations for all this is just to not
store the info.    There's nothing that says you can't store it.
Just that if you do store it, you must do everything practical to
ensure it's safe from dishonest, negligent or malicous people  who
might come in contact with it.

Your own bank's merchant services people should tell you whether it's
ok to store just the last four digits of the number (your rules might
be different from ours), but if it's any help, it's acceptable in
Australia to store and print the last four digits in the form you
outline.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
Certified Advanced ColdFusion Developer
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month