Terry Ford wrote:

> So I'm just wondering what's considered the current best practice use of date
> and time storage in mysql using CF.  Timestamp?  Datetime?  Neither?  Is
> using epoch times a no-no nowadays, or do other people still use it?

For what it's worth, I use the datetime field in MySQL, PostgreSQL, and
SQL Server, and my programmatical code is exactly the same for each.

Just because it's more complicated to handle actual datetime objects in
other languages doesn't mean I'm going to avoid using them.

I DO tend to avoid the less compatible datatypes.... I never use
tinyint, bit or boolean datatypes when developing apps that I need to
run in multiple databases, because not all databases have them or treat
them the same - the "bit" in postgresql is very handled differently from
the bit in SQL Server, and the YesNo in access, and there's no
equivalent in MySQL.  tinyints aren't universal either so I go to
smallint... the increase in storage requirements are minimal and even if
you're only storing 0s and 1s I doubt there's a performance difference.

Anyway, other advantages of using datetime fields instead of epoch time
is the ability to use datetime functions in your database queries.  I
recently did a job where I used the following:

group by Year(myDate), Month(myDate)

to retrieve monthly data totals.

Rick