>Al:
>
>I know this isn't fool-proof.  No where near it.  This is more to stop
>pranksters than actual thieves.  The merchandise isn't sent out until the
>payment is approved anyway.  It's more to save the client the hassle of
>having to bother with commonly used (and easily found) fake numbers.
>
>To date, the few fake numbers that have gone through have been among the
>commonly-known numbers.  Hopefully, this will cut down on a little bit of
>frustration for the client.
>
>Thanks.

Here's a thought:
Even though the client doesn't want to actually complete the transaction
online, it IS still possible to take the CC info entered and check it for
validity (making sure CC number ,address, name, expiration date, etc. are all
truly valid) using the client's merchant account. I did some development using
Verisign's Payflow Pro a couple of years ago for a client, and I distinctly
remember that one of the "actions" available in the API was a validation action
that did nothing more than validate the information provided, returning a
'valid' or 'invalid' string. Whatever merchant account is being utilized by the
client, perhaps they have a secure web service that could be used in this
manner for pre-processing purposes?