Ben,

>I am having this really strange problem involving a query of queries that I
>have never encountered before. Basically I am building a query with the
>QueryNew() method:
>
> ... clip ...
>
>However, the following all cause error:
>
><cfset REQUEST.SearchQuery[ "score" ][ REQUEST.SearchQuery.CurrentRow ] =
>ArrayLen( arrCriteria ) />
><cfset REQUEST.SearchQuery[ "score" ][ REQUEST.SearchQuery.CurrentRow ] =
>  Max( 5, REQUEST.SearchQuery[ "score" ][ REQUEST.SearchQuery.CurrentRow ]
>)
>/>
>
>Heck, even this causes errors:
>
>REQUEST.SearchQuery[ "score" ][ REQUEST.SearchQuery.CurrentRow ] =
>  Max( REQUEST.SearchQuery[ "score" ][ REQUEST.SearchQuery.CurrentRow ],
>  REQUEST.SearchQuery[ "score" ][ REQUEST.SearchQuery.CurrentRow ]
>  ) />
>

>Its like any function call that returns a number corrupts the SCORE value
>for the QofQ.

QoQ is a great idea, but it's buggy as heck. Everytime I've tried to use it,
I've run into some kind of irregularity with it that I've had to spend time
to work around.

It sounds like you're running into casting issues. Even though CF is
typeless, it still has some issues at times when it blends to Java that
creates variables that should be typeless, but are not. I'm sure that's why
it works fine when you don't declare the variable types, but errors when you
explicitly declare the column types.

Try using the JavaCast() function to explicitly declare your integer fields.
I suspect that will get rid of the errors.

-Dan