>Ya know if that tree was flattened into a few database tables, it'd all be
>much easier :-)
>--
>Tom Chiverton
>Advanced ColdFusion Programmer

The information comes from 4 tables.  There's many more fields in each
table, but here is the short break down.

Project_table
Proj_id
Proj_name
WorkPlan_id

Task_table
Task_id
Task_name
Proj_id
Cost_id
Task_lvl(works with the Task_number, 1(is lvl 1), 1.1(lvl 2), 1.1.1(lvl 3)
and so forth)
Task_number(this is the closes to linking parent/children,  the numbers are
1, 1.1 1.2,  1.1.1, 1.1.2)  So a task with number 1.1 is a child to 1

Cost_table
Cost_id
Cost_area

Hours_table
Task_id
Task_name
Person_name
Hours
Cost_per_hour
Worker_type

What is wanted is, put a workplan_id in and get all
projects/tasks/person(cost/hours).  Hope I can explain this, :o)
All Projects and tasks need to be displayed(whether hours are logged against
it or not).  The display is hierarical(much more graphical, lol):
Project_name
  --1 Task_name
  --1.1 Task_name
  ----1.1.1 Task_name
  ----1.1.2 Task_name
  --------Person_name: Hours/cost
  --------Person_name: Hours/cost
  --2 Task_name
  ----Person_name: Hours/cost

When a user mouses over the project_name or task_name, they get a popup
display with roll ups for that lvl(ie. Mouse over 1.1 would include
1.1,1.1.1, 1.1.2). Mouse over the project_name gives the over all totals for
the whole project.  These are boken out into:
  Total: hours/Costs;
  Totals by Worker_type1:  hours/costs;
  Totals by Worker_type2:  hours/costs;(etc..)
  Totals by cost_area1:  hours/costs;
  Totals by cost_area2:  hours/costs;(etc..)

I do two queries that populate/create the structure. The first links:
Project, Task and Cost Tables and creates the main structure.  The second
gets the information from the hours table and adds it to the structure(per
examples in previous emails).  While adding the worker information, the
totals are also calculated and placed in the structure.  Then loop thru the
structure to create the displays.  The other ways I could come up with had
me looping thru queries multipule times while creating the display, which
was slower.

If there is a better way to do this, please let me know.   I don't really
like the way I am doing it, but unfortunetly I havent come up with anything
better and I do seem to do things the hard way.

Thanks
Rodney