> The one major exception to this was the CISCO certification. I can't
> speak from personal experience, because I never took the exams, but
> one of my colleagues went through the process to get the CCIE
> certification and by all accounts it was impossible to pass without
> really knowing *and* understanding just about everthing related to the
> topic matter.
>
> The exam itself was a 4 hour "lab" where you had to troubleshoot a set
> of CISCO hardware that had been carefully misconfigured by the
> examiner.

That's similar to the Red Hat RHCE cert.  I didn't take it, but you have
to go to one of their testing locations because part of the exam is a
lab where someone is watching you work.  It's not a
memorize-it-then-forget-it kind of certification.  I have the Linux+
certification, and there's another one out there that's similar.  But
the RHCE is considered the big mamma of Linux certs (at least it was
last I looked).

[INFO] -- Access Manager:
This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential
and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the
distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any
reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this transmission in
error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its
entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format.  Thank you.   A2