From: Denny Valliant [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2006 9:57 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Question about relative and root links

On 4/28/06, Dave Watts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Ah, that explains my confusion with that setting sometimes.
> >
> > I prefer that if it starts with a slash, it's absolute. Site
> > root relative?
> >
> > Why not just call a URL a URL? I mean, I'm all for enriching
> > the language and all, but sheesh.  Site root relative is
> > still absolute. I don't see anything relative about it.  I'll
> > end with "site root relative" is just plain silly, and
> > calling a URL an absolute path is almost as silly. Maybe more so.
> > ;-)
>
> First, stating a preference is not the same as making an argument. You
> haven't given any reason why your beliefs about syntax should be accepted
> by
> everyone else.

I didn't know it was a debate. I was just stating a preference.  And making
comment on the relativeness of the site root. I mean, sure it's relative
from some
point, but then again, so is "/".

I didn't mean you were silly, if it came across that way.

Second, you can quickly find out the difference between a site-root-relative
> path and an absolute path by copying an HTML page with the former from one
> server to another, and seeing how things work.

An absolute file system path? Or absolute path as in the full URL, including
protocol?  Damn it, now I'm confused.  I get the point though, I think, if
you
mean a site where you have to replace /something with /somethingelse all
over the place.  That's why I too like the "set the paths in the
application.cfc"
type deal, since you gotta have 'em usually anyways.  Why not use variables
and change them instead. :-)