Nothing anymore

-----Original Message-----
From: Terry L Schmitt [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 10 May 2006 15:48
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Big SQL security hole at Crystaltech?

So what's this got to do with CrystalTech and SQL Server?

------------------------
delivery. NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to bind
CSC to any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit written
for such purpose.
------------------------

"Mark A Kruger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
05/10/2006 10:28 AM
Please respond to
cf-talk@houseoffusion.com

CF-Talk <cf-talk@houseoffusion.com>
cc

Subject
RE: Big SQL security hole at Crystaltech?

Jacob,

That was me, and I did not use the word "fanatic". I was responding to
someone who declared themselves a "linux snob". I was only speaking from
personal experience. There are 6 developers here and we use a lot of
technologies. No one has anything "bad" to say about Linux and we use it
for
specific purposes. So, from my perspective it's true. Windows folks are
less
prone to sling mud on Linux than Linux on Windows. My point (wich I did
not
explain very well), is that this has more to do with the "power
differential" than the merits of the OS.

Please allow me to indulge in a little analogy
--------------
In sociological terms when a large power differential exists between 2
groups, it unites the minority group or entity under a banner of a common
enemy and necessitates a higher level of loyalty.  That may be what is
happening here. A Windows user, being a part of the establishment power,
can
live without Linux and it doesn't appreciably affect his life. He can
dabble
in "Linux Culture" and spend time in the Linux neighborhood. He can choose
to engage Linux users, or he can pretend they don't exist. Either way his
life isn't affected to a great degree. He even has the luxury of saying
"some of my best friends are Linux Users" :)

Meanwhile a Linux user can't get away from Windows no matter how hard they
try. The people they are forced to work for use windows. Developers
writing
applications on Linux must first make sure they work for windows users.
Files come in windows formats, applications are released on windows and
ported to Linux as an afterthought. They see the windows OS in power terms
-
a corrupt institution based on a poor operating system that magically took
away power rightly belonging to the peoples while Linux has come (in the
words of George Hamilton in "Zorro the gay blade") to "defend the
defensless, and defeat the feetless".

So my point was that windows users, being in a position of power, can
"take
it or leave it" without  getting up in arms about it - while Linux folks
feel like it is necessary to fight every battle in order to make any
headway.

Now please understand the analogy only works to a point. There is no
"moral
quality" to Linux - no high road. It's just an operating system for gosh
sakes :)   So I'm not saying that Linus Torvalis is the modern day
equivelent of Martin Luther King. I'm only pointing out that the idea of a
power differential - when the margin is great enough - has a predictable
effect, as I think it does in this case.

-Mk