From: Bruce, Rodney S C-E LCMC HQISEC/Signal Solutions
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2006 2:44 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: An issue with CFC output

Hi all

Hope I can explain this.

Has anyone encountered an issue with outputing a returned string from a CFC
method?

I have a CFC that has a function that returns a string.  The function use to
just be on a .cfm page that I <cfincluded>.
We have just recently upgraded to CFMX 7, so I wanted to get my functions
into CFCs.
using   <CFOBJECT  name="Myobject" Component="Components.myfunctions">

If I do this:

<CFSET  newstring = Myobject.myfunction(oldstring)>

<CFOUTPUT>
        #newstring#
</CFOUTPUT>

All is good

But if I do

<CFOUTPUT>
        #Myobject.myfunction(oldstring)#
</CFOUTPUT>

I get extra non printable chars in front of the output.

After expermenting for awhile, I can see that the extra chars are being
placed in front of the returned string at the time of output.
Not by the function itself.

If I do:

<CFSET newstring = Myobject.myfunction(oldstring) &
Myobject.myfunction(oldstring) & Myobject.myfunction(oldstring)>

I get no extra chars.

The extra chars are added at the function dump to output
#Myobject.myfunction(oldstring)#.
Were this is an issue is in queries:

SET  field1 = #Myobject.myfunction(oldstring1)#,
     feidl2 = #Myobject.myfunction(oldstring2)#,

I would have to do a bunch of cfsets before the query. Do able but annoying
to have the extra lines of code or
place the output into a rereplace expression.

Thanks for any help
Rodney