I can't give you any specifics, but I set all my databases for UTF-8
character storage.  Saves time later when a client says that they need
to expand into Korea.  :-)

Just remember that AJaX isn't anything new.  At the risk of (slight)
oversimplification, it's nothing more than a way to spawn a separate
request via JavaScript.  The request target can store data just like
any page called through a "standard" URI call.

I've /never/ had any charset trouble except for what I mentioned.
And, to be clear, in that case I was returning an extended character
(an accented "e") that I hadn't coded for.  It wasn't the other way
around.