yup
unless you sign it over to them and you'd be a fool to do so, or say you are
employeed by a company then it's thier code.

here is why:
ok i make a lot of fly fishing sites right, so, say I make a fly shops web site
and I release the code and content to them and then I make another fly shops
site and the first one comes back and sues the bejesus outta me because they
know i probably used a lot of the same code which they now own and they now
have the right to sue me and the other fly shop which will probably turn around
and sue me as well.....

So what it you need is to give them a licence to use the code and also that way
they can't sell your code for profit. But by law if there is no agreement then
the code is yours just like if you took a photo it would belong to you. You can
give them the code but you'd need to sign it over to them. It was an eye opener
for me and it's one of the first things I talk with my new (and old) clients
about now. They are kinda shocked at first but outta the 16 i have on order now
not one said no to it.

The best defense for this is a good offense and the first thing you do is get a
good contract signed before you do squat. I have  a generic one i just fill in
if anyone wants it. The program "home and business lawyer" is where i got it
but I took out the part that signs over the code rights, per my attorney's
suggestion.

~Dave the disruptor~