As you elaborated too Jeff, the intricacies of SEO shouldn't fall on the
shoulders of developers. SEO is a whole profession in itself. I do think
there needs to be some level of teamwork though by which SEO
professionals convey changes that should be made in a system to get
better placement in SERPS. For example, things such as ensuring good
copy in ALT and TITLE attributes or SES urls, especially in dynamic
pages, should be handled by both HTML page designers and developers.
They're the masters of those pages and should have some control over
that. Copy, on the other hand, should be the responsibility of people
that *supposedly* understand marketing, brand awareness, target
demographics and consumer awareness. The latter is typically not a
developer's forte.

Rey...