I like CMS's over Dreamweaver Templates, so I'm sorry to hear of the switch,
but the development in tiers is a way good idea.

While I have played with the idea of storing "content" in a SVN repository
or some such, generally when you talk of Dev / QA / Production you are
talking about code, vs. content... oh, duh, it's all code now that it's in
DW,
never mind.

Hrmmm.  That's one way to keep it all versioned.  Set up some commit
hooks to email people when there is something to approve...

But the only trouble with that is that you inevitably need some type of
database to track the "approved" or "disapproved", and why.

Which is really the meat and potatoes of the whole issue anyways.
What people want is accountability.  A log, basically, of changes, and
submissions for approval, and responses.  Having strict rules of who
can do what is just icing on the cake.  Locking down who it is you
need to track down and beat the crap out of for allowing X change into
the system, every time, vs. having to look it up.  Six of one, really.

But what's important (I've found, and this is just opinion from an
admittedly
poor coder) is that history/communication is transparent. - So long
as you can get the "who what why where when" or whatever from any
given change, you're pretty golden, pony-boy.

I would recommend using a repository of some sort, and branches for
your various stages of production. Maybe some email hooks to facilitate
the process of communication... you'll end up using a database, basically
a project management database, no matter what, so basically you'd tie
in issues and stuff to the repository, and have the project drive the
repository
vs. the repository driving the project, if that makes any kind of sense.

Tie in some logic like: change X cannot be committed to server Y unless
people (or person) Z has signed off.  You can really lock it down, and only
allow person Z to commit to server Y, so that (theoretically) nothing can
"slip by", if you will.

One you have the framework, it's really up to you and the people you
work with's level of comfort.  Or requirements. Stuff gets driven by policy
too, so maybe checkout how the current policies (approval paths, etc.)
flow and try to mimic that.

Well, not to concise or very helpful probably, but maybe a little, so there
you go.  =] Good luck, may the force be with you, :Denny