Rob Wilkerson wrote:
> 1.  The feed itself specifies its encoding as iso-8859-1 in the source XML.

so what? in a perfect world folks would know the difference between latin-1 & a
windows code page (cp) or ms wouldn't have created their own encoding (i'm not
blaming ms for this, i think they actually needed to at the time). mixing
encodings is fairly common.

> 2.  When I make the get request specifying the charset as iso-8859-1
> everything returns fine (at least for this feed)

i get some garbled chars & i have to swap my browser's encoding. when i pulled
that file using the windows cp it came thru ok except for the NCR goop.

> 3.  When I make the get request specifying either no charset at all or
> utf-8 the non-ascii characters (what I, perhaps mistakenly, referenced
> as members of an "extended character set") are not rendered properly
> in the cfhttp.fileContent variable.

if you use iso-8859-1 or utf-8 for windows-1252 encoded stuff that would be
expected. you might just ask those folks what s/w they're using to build the
content & feed.

> 1.  Specifying a utf-8 character set would handle most of the
> non-ascii characters and allow them to render properly

it would if that stuff was playing like it should.

> 2.  ColdFusion, if no charset was specified and no content-type was
> specified in the response header would default to UTF-8.  This is
> straight from the CFHTTP docs if I read and understand them correctly.

i never use it w/out a charset so maybe you're right.

> and I think I'll go that direction.  The question then becomes, what
> charset can I specify that will handle almost any feed out there?

utf-8, but stuff has to play by the rules. you can't declare something latin-1
&
then schlepp in a windows cp char or two.