>Brad Wood wrote:
>> Asfusion.com had a sweet flash file upload to use in flash forms with a
>> progress bar and everything.
>>
>> Don't know if it satisfies your need or not though...
>
>That looks pretty sweet but probably doesn't satisfy his needs cuz it
>still uses cffile on the backend.  It's still just an HTTP POST of a form.
>
>I'm bookmarking it though cuz it is pretty nice (and I don't have any
>problems with cffile!)
>
>Rick

I had learned from my first efforts with CFFile that it doesn't actually upload
the file itself, rather it just transfers it from the server's temp directory
to the specified target directory, or to the application's memory. From what I
understand, the file form field data just gives a path to the uploaded file in
the temp directory.

That said, even though CFFile may not be working as advertised - ie it chokes
on files over a certain size, there are still ways you can upload the file and
process the uploaded file using the java.io.String and FileReader classes.
Samuel Neff gives a very nice discussion on how to do this on his blog:

http://www.rewindlife.com/archives/000023.cfm

The problem is though that the files are quite large and at the other end of a
slow connection, and still using http. The only work around here is to use a
client side Java applet to handle the upload.

hth,

larry

--
Larry C. Lyons