On 6/3/06, Peter Legg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So if I encrypt a document that is being uploaded by a user, I have to
> decrypt it, index it and then encrypt it again before I insert it into the
> database table?

It depends on what tool you use to do the indexing, but if it isn't
native to the DB (e.g. Verity) then it might be something like that.
It depends on the point at which the doc is first  encrypted.

>Can Oracle really index docs individually before inserting them into
the database?

Not normally; the docs are usually indexed from the DB tables.

>I thought with SQL Server at least that you could either do full or
incremental full-text indexes (timestamp required) and only after the
doc is inserted into the table.  Would that mean I'd have to store the
doc, update the full-text index incrementally using a trigger, and
then somehow encrypt it in the table?

Yes, that's probably how it would be done in Oracle too. It's messy.

--
CFAJAX docs and other useful articles:
http://jr-holmes.coldfusionjournal.com/