Its still ftp over something.  Just because you send ftp over ssl, ssh, tls,
or anything else for that matter, it doesn't make the ftp part of it any
different...just ftp being carried over a more secure transport...kind of
like instead of shouting, you carry your voice over an fm carrier signal.
So it's still the same plain ole insecure ftp that is on a secure carrier.

Do they make subversion for windows?  I would be willing to try it out for
size.

Some places get overly anal...possibly rightfully so hehehe...and don't
allow vpn for consultants.

It really depends on the environment.  For my personal stuff, I pretty much
just have my host and send stuff directly to the host, unless it is
something complicated, which I do test locally first as I would rather crash
my system than my site host.  They tend to get rather miffed when customers
do that ;-)  Most place I work at have a test and production environment to
work with.  Some even have a staging environment in-between the 2.  I have
only worked at a couple of places that didn't have a test server...though
they did shortly after I convinced them of the wisdom of having a test
environment.  Source control really depends on the company.  Some places
won't do it because either they don't want to pay for, won't use open source
because of the lack of support, or just have system admins who are too inept
to try and install products they are not familiar with.  As far as backup,
most places I have been have at least daily back-ups...some have had hourly
backups(incremental of course).

Source control is great if you can get it.  I know I tried to get something
at my last gig, but the company wouldn't flip the bill to buy it and
sysadmins wouldn't install it if they did.

Eric