Sure. I'm not saying anything about the rules or how they are written.
You can have it use a web service. You can have it use a trained
monkey. Up to you. The main point of this exercise concerns
extensibility. Ie, how can I build an application that is easy to
update, or so easy that the community could write modules and they
could just be dropped in.