I think you understand what I'm trying to do, but the key difference
is that we have a product.  The modified files must be distributed to
customers.  Ideally, I'd like to extract only the modified files from
the source control repository so I can then just roll them up in a
tarball without any additional weeding of what's in and what's out.

Does that help clarify anything?