alright, it was an odd Dreamweaver problem/user error.
I had the file open and then realized it was in the above directory.  I then
moved the file into an inner directory (without closing the old file and
reopening it), then I adjusted the file and saved it.  It saved a new file to
the above directory (instead of saving to the old file) and all editing went to
that new file that I didn't expect it to make.

jeez

sorry for the confusion.