Use this to see what the spiders see:
http://www.dlperry.com/what_search_engine_spiders_see.html

My goal is to have 1 H1, a few H2's, a few H3's, a few related external
links and a good distribution of keywords in sentence format (more important
than you would think). Looking at the bottom part which shows content tells
me to redo parts of the page to remove unneeded content (dates, threadcount)
and trim down some of my links.

On the other hand, there's an Indian site about Cold Fusion (physics) that
has been fighting for a high spot on Google and it's claim to fame is a
HUGE, single page with the specific keywords used MANY times.