You know, if you have to write something...start by poking around the
notification code, right? There's "subscription" code that sends users email
notifications when a new post is made to a thread they're "subscribed"
to...I'd figure that might be a nice place to begin looking...seems like
you'd be able to modify it a little to email notifications based on users...

Let us know how that goes. It sounds interesting, and I love those forums.